Tuesday 30 August 2011

Day 3 - how does it feel?

It's day three and other than the obvious frustrations of being in a sling, it's bearable!

I'm taking three doses of painkillers per day; each dose is 500mg of Paracetemol and 200mg of Ibuprofen. This takes the edge off of any sharp pain and just leaves me with a noticable ache is the front of the shoulder.

Feeling around the shoulder surface, the spot above the bicep is definitely swollen, which is hardly surprising really. More reason to keep taking the anti-inflammatories.

I do a light exercise routine 3 times a day which includes:
- making and releasing a fist (no pain)
- bending and straigtening the elbow (very mild pain when straight)
- pulling back the shoulder blades (no pain)
- turning the head to stretch the neck muscles (no pain)

I'm quite surprised how little it hurts to straigten the elbow; I expected this to hurt like hell!

I can lean over to the right and let my arm hang away from my side about 15 degrees with little discomfort. I figured this might be good for general mobility.

When the painkillers wear off it hurts, especially the biceps. I'm sleeping on my back or on my left side and when on my side I rest my right arm on a pillow positioned to my left. I got 6 or 7 hours last night - not bad.

This will all get more interesting when I start exercising properly. I'll post back with any notable changes in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment